The Portland Museum of Art has long been a destination for scholars and admirers of Winslow Homer's work. Winslow Homer (1836-1910) first exhibited at the Museum in 1893, showing the painting Signal of Distress. In 1976, Charles Shipman Payson, a philanthropist and summer resident of Maine, gave an outstanding collection of 17 works by Winslow Homer to the Museum, which included four oils and 13 watercolors, as well as $8 million to build an addition to house the collection. The Museum's collection also includes such notable works as Homer's first oil painting, Sharpshooter and an original watercolor paint box. One hundred years after Homer moved to Prouts Neck in 1883, the Museum opened the new wing named after Charles Shipman Payson.
The Museum’s collection also includes a nearly comprehensive collection of more than 450 illustrations given to the Museum by Peggy and Harold Osher in 1991. The Homer graphics collection includes more than 90% of Homer's graphic output and chronicles the artist's early career as a commercial illustrator. View Paintings / View Illustrations
How were Homer's illustrations made? --Video by Port'and's Community Television Network.
The Winslow Homer Studio
The Studio will open to the public on September 25, 2012. The Museum acquired the Winslow Homer Studio in 2006. Winslow Homer lived at the Prouts Neck Studio from 1883 until his death painting many of his late masterpieces there. The Studio and the surrounding grounds are closed to the public while construction and restoration projects take place. A registered National Historic Landmark, the renovated Winslow Homer Studio will be used to celebrate the artist's life, to encourage scholarship on Homer, and to educate audiences to appreciate the artistic heritage of Winslow Homer and Maine.